spoon

Recent Recipes

Coconut Apricot Icebox Cookies

0

Category :

I love to bake.  I love cookies.  I love to bake cookies :)

And I enjoy trying new and different recipes.  I aim to please my tough cookie critic husband and often look for recipes that I think he'll enjoy.  I wasn't sure about this one but flipping through one of my cookie cookbooks, this recipe caught my eye and I had all the ingredients on hand (unsalted butter, coconut and dried apricots included!) So I figured this one was worth a shot.

Kids had fun helping and when Joe came home, took his first bite and said (muffled by a mouthful of cookie) "oh... my... gosh... these are SO good!"  I knew I had a hit.  At that point, no matter what anyone else thought, I was basking in the glory of my success as he continued to repeat how amazing they were.

Despite my assumption that they would be dense and "shortbread" like, they came out extremely light and airy, slightly chewy and most importantly just absolutely delicious...

*Recipe courtesy of "Great Cookies" by Carole Walter*

Coconut Apricot Icebox Cookies

1 (10 oz) package sweetened, flaked coconut
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, spooned in and leveled
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried apricots, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes and chopped into 1/8 inch pieces
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly firm
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon imitation coconut extract
1 large egg white, lightly beaten with 2 teaspoons water for brushing the logs
1 large egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon milk for brushing tops of unbaked cookies

Place the coconut in the work bowl of a food processor.  Pulse until finely chopped.  Set aside

Mix together flour, baking soda and salt.  Remove 1 tablespoon of the dry ingredients and toss with apricots.  Set aside.

In the large bowl of an electric mixer mix butter on medium-low speed.  Pour in sugar in a steady stream and mix for 1-2 minutes.  Add the egg and mix 1 minute longer, scraping sides of bowl as needed.  Mix in the extracts.

Reduce mixer speed to low and blend in 1 3/4 cups of the coconut.  Add the dry ingredients in two additions, mixing only to combine after each addition.  Using a large rubber spatula, mix in the apricots.  Shape dough into three logs, each measuring about 8 x 1 1/2 inches.

Place remaining coconut on a clean work surface.  Brush each log with egg white wash and roll to coat in coconut.  Wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour (will keep in fridge for up to 3 days or frozen for 1 month.)

FOR BAKING:  Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Using a sharp knife with a thin blade, slice dough into 3/8-inch thick slices, turning dough every 2-3 cuts to maintain shape, and place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  If dough cracks when slicing, firmly press it back together.

Lightly brush tops of cookies with egg yolk mixture before placing in oven.  Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.  If needed, rotate pan 180 degrees half way through baking for even browning.  Let stand for 1 minute before loosening with a thin metal spatula.  Transfer to cooling racks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.