spoon

Recent Recipes

Taco Seasoning and Mexican Rice

2

Category :


While reading a friend's blog, I ran across her posting for a DIY taco seasoning and realized it was the perfect time for me to post the one that I use. Especially since tacos were on the menu for the week anyway. I suppose it's true that making your own seasoning is healthier... no MSG and all that. But the truth is that I went searching frantically for a recipe when I was browning meat for tacos one evening and realized I hadn't bought any packaged seasoning. And so this became my go-to recipe and I now prefer it to the store-bought stuff. The Mexican Rice is a perfect pairing to any Mexican meal and tastes just like the stuff in the restaurants. Here's a secret *it's incredibly easy too!*


Taco Seasoning
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. each cumin, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, sugar and cornstarch
1/2-3/4 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Brown 1 lb meat (I use lean ground beef or turkey.) Drain if necessary. Add seasoning and 1/4-1/2 cup water to meat. Heat 1-2 minutes longer or until slightly thickened.


Easy Mexican Rice

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup long grain rice
2 1/2 cups cold water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 cup tomato sauce

In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook until lightly browned. Add water and remaining ingredients. Cove and simmer 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

2 comments:

Ahh, so I have lots of catching up to do with my comments. I had to join the site with my new blogger name. Anyways....I will have to try this rice. With me being on my kick of trying to stay away from MSG and such, it's very hard to find flavored rice without MSG in the package in seasonings. Thanks. :)

Yeah, it's still not working under my blogger name. But I can comment with my real name so I'll do that. :)

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.