spoon

Recent Recipes

Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro Crema

0

Category :

I admit that, for years, I was one of those people who thought mexican and seafood just shouldn't mix. I was also young and naive... and hadn't found my passion for cooking. Let's face it, the two go together BEAUTIFULLY! Even so, the concept of "fish tacos" was still something I had to wrap my mind around. My mom brought me this recipe when she came to visit years ago, telling me we had to try it. This is how our mother-daughter foodie relationship works. We both subscribe to Cooking Light, often running across a recipe that will remind us of each other. We file them away for the times we know we'll be together so we can experiment, experience, and savor them together. I love this about my mom, she's everything I know about cooking. Without her my husband and children would never get to indulge in the heavenly experience they know as my cooking :)

I'm exaggerating here.... but I also digress. This recipe is AMAZING! You can substitute any white fish for the tilapia (in fact, the original recipe calls for red snapper) but I prefer the way the tilapia absorbs the flavors of the spices along with its mild fishy flavor. Serve with sides of mexican rice and black beans with corn (mix one can drained black beans with one can drained corn and cook over medium heat until warmed.)


Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro Crema

Crema:
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

Tacos:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (OK to use regular)
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
2 cups shredded cabbage

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

To prepare tacos, combine cumin and next 5 ingredients (through garlic powder) in a small bowl; sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of fish. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 9 minutes at 425 or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Place fish in a bowl and break into pieces with a fork. Divide fish evenly among warm tortillas; top each with a tablespoon of crema and 1/4 cup cabbage.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.