spoon

Recent Recipes

Turkey Meatballs in Paprika Tomato Sauce

1

Category : ,

I love Rachel Ray. I seriously do. I love her love of cooking, her perky attitude and even her yum-o! enthusiasm. I used to watch her show on a semi-regular basis... until I had kids. But although I enjoy watching this Food Network star at work, many of her recipes don't tend to live up to my "health-seeking" standards. Don't get me wrong... I'll indulge in a good hearty "no worries about calories" meal once in awhile. But my general purpose for searching is to find those good (and healthy) recipes I can turn to again and again. I even enjoy reading her magazine. Browsing foodie mags isn't all about the recipes after all. I pull one out every so often and they really never fail to impress. As is the case with this long time favorite. The amazing flavor of the sauce combined with the tenderness of the mouth-watering meatballs... a deliciously healthy twist on an all time favorite!

The initial effort of preparation is well worth the outcome in the end (and the incredible smell of your hands-off dinner as it simmers in the crockpot...)

*Recipe modified from original courtesy of Rachel Ray*


Turkey Meatballs in Paprika Tomato Sauce

1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (14.5-oz) can diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
1 (12-oz) jar roasted red peppers, drained
2 Tablespoons paprika
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 7 minutes. Transfer 1 1/3 cups of the onion mixture to a large bowl; let cool. Reserve remaining mixture in skillet.

Using a food processor or blender, puree the tomatoes and roasted peppers. Add the puree to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the paprika and season with salt and pepper; transfer to a large slow cooker.

Whisk the bread crumbs, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into the remaining onion mixture in bowl. Mix in the turkey. Form 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Add the meatballs to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Serve with cooked spaghetti and steamed veggies.

1 comments:

I tried these tonight with great success, love the meatballs, would add a bit more spice to the sauce, and enjoyed the chunkiness of it. Was especially good with zinfandel!

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.