spoon

Recent Recipes

Grilled Chicken with Cola Sauce

0

Category :

So this is yet another one of my "oops" I didn't follow the recipe right stories.  The end result was so fabulous that I had a hard time deciding exactly how to post the recipe.  Since I am curious to try it the "right" way I will post the original recipe and then explain what I did wrong.  Although the recipe also only calls for chicken breasts, I had a mixture of boneless skinless breasts and thighs that I used... both equally delicious.


Grilled Chicken with Cola Sauce

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup cola (I used regular Coca-Cola)
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon sweet (I used smoked) paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
6 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.  Add onion to pan; saute 2 minutes stirring occasionally.  Add garlic; saute1 minute.  Stir in cola and next 4 ingredients (through chili powder.)  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until sauce reduces to 3/4 cup, stirring occasionally.  Set 6 tablespoons sauce aside.

Combine sugar and next 3 ingredients (through cumin), stirring well.  Rub spice mixture evenly over both sides of chicken.  Arrange chicken on a grill rack; grill 5 minutes on each side, basting with remaining sauce (or until done.)  Serve with reserved sauce.

*courtesy of Cooking Light*

*So here's where I went wrong.... I must have been in an altered sleep state because I know in my heart of cooking hearts that the biggest mistakes can come from not pre-reading the recipe. So, as I was preparing the sauce in the saucepan, I just started adding all of the ingredients (through the cumin!!)  Once I realized my mistake I decided to just go ahead with it, use the sauce as it was and just sprinkle the chicken with a little salt and pepper (rather than the rub of spices that was incidentally in the sauce) before throwing it on the grill.  The result was still fabulous and Joe was utterly impressed when I told him I had made the bbq sauce from scratch!*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.