spoon

Recent Recipes

Chile Relleno Casserole

0

Category : ,


I'm on a roll here with quick and easy weeknight meals.  This one takes just a little prep but needs almost an hour baking time.  So worth it for that crunchy cheesy top you see there.  I wasn't sure what my kids would think of it so I was pleasantly surprised when Aubrey was the first to clear her plate.  I almost thought she'd ask for seconds but I think she was saving room for dessert.  I served it with a side of corn and a green salad to round out the meal.  And since Joe will be gone, I can make the kids something else and have the leftovers to myself! (don't judge... when Joe is out of town my motivation to cook anything blog worthy goes out the window and I frequently fix my children easy dinners like quesadillas, chicken nuggets or mac & cheese...)

Chile Relleno Casserole
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 (or more if desired) teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper (optional... I left this out)
1 can whole green chiles
1 small can chopped green chiles
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I freshly grated 1/2 of an 8 oz block)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 375.  Brown ground beef and onion together in large nonstick skillet until meat is no longer pink.  Add salt and pepper(s). Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Cut open chiles and lay flat in a layer on bottom of pan.  Top with half of cheese, then meat and onion mixture.  Add the remaining cheese and chopped green chiles on top.  Whisk milk and flour together.  Whisk in eggs and mix well.  Pour evenly over all.  Bake for 50 minutes (can cover with foil halfway through if it gets too brown... I like mine that way though!)

*original recipe from greencattlebeef.com*

Update: just after I posted this recipe, Joe came home and stole the leftovers for lunch... darn him!!
Update #2: he topped it with sour cream and said it was delicious... just gave me the idea to possibly top it with some olives too (not that this is true chile relleno fasion... would still taste good though!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.