spoon

Recent Recipes

Chicken and Orzo Skillet

0

Category :


I'm trying to make a comeback this year.  I want to share all the incredible new recipes I tried and fell in love with last year! Too much good stuff to keep to myself.  The problem is the lack of photos (and the lack of quality of the ones I do have!) But I'll do my best.

I began browsing through my photos in an attempt to find a starting point and came across this gem. Honestly, I made this just last November for the very first time and I can still remember every distinct flavor as if I had just eaten it tonight.  Very few (healthy) ingredients that yielded so much incredible flavor.  As if I needed any more assurance that this one was a hit... everyone devoured every bite. So enjoy... I know we all did.

Chicken and Orzo Skillet (adapted from Cooking Light)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces (I used three large breasts)
8 cups water
12 ounces uncooked orzo
2 cups chopped tomato (3-4 roma tomatoes)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (or pizza or pasta sauce... it's what I had open in the fridge!)
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3-4 cups baby spinach leaves
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Spray with olive oil or cooking spray and add chicken.  Cook about 6 minutes, stirring to brown all sides.  Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.

Boil 8 cups water in a large saucepan.  Add orzo and cook 8 minutes.  Pour and save 1/4 cup cooking liquid then drain remaining liquid from orzo in a colander.

Add 1/4 cup cooking liquid, tomatoes and tomato paste to skillet.  Cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.  Add chicken, pasta, garlic salt, pepper and spinach, stirring until spinach wilts.  Remove from heat and sprinkle with feta cheese.

I think I served it with a side of roasted asparagus.  Or maybe I didn't.  But it sounds good doesn't it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.