spoon

Recent Recipes

Overnight Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal

0

Category : ,

Thank heavens for Pinterest. What would I do without that never-ending time-sucking black hole of unattainable possibilities? No, but seriously... I found this recipe there that originated from a blog called The Yummy Life And like most things I "pin" onto my virtual pinboards, I wasn't sure I'd ever actually get around to making it. Oatmeal sounded delicious and I vaguely remembered this recipe. I pulled it up and realized I had everything I needed. So hey... why not?! The recipe even stated that leftovers could be easily reheated... gourmet breakfast for a week!

*Printed recipe is for a 3 1/2-quart or larger slow cooker, I doubled everything but the apples and butter when I made it for a larger quantity (and more leftovers!)*

Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal

2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons butter cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter

Coat inside of slow cooker very well with cooking spray (or brush generously with oil.) Add all ingredients except optional toppings to slow cooker. Stir, cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours (8 hours if you're doubling the recipe.) Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add additional toppings if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator or freeze individual servings.

To reheat single serving: Put 1 cup cooked oatmeal in microwave-proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute or until how.

Recipe can be doubled for a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.