spoon

Recent Recipes

White Bean Italian Sausage Soup

0

Category :

I enjoy a good bowl of soup.  I'd even make it for dinner if I thought I could get away with it.  But my husband is a filling meal full of meat kind of guy so not only can I NOT get away with soup for dinner, I must also NEVER make anything vegetarian... minor restrictions I've been able to abide by for the last 10 years.  But it doesn't stop me from pulling out the recipes.  I see them... I long to try them... and I file them away.  Until recently when I thought to myself  "hey, why not make soup for lunch?"  I'm the only one I have to please (I didn't serve it to my kids) and the leftovers will take care of lunch for days.  I actually invited my good friend Tracey to lunch and baked some homemade bread (for what is soup without bread?!)  But her kids got sick the night before and she had to decline the invitation at the last minute.  It didn't stop me, I was determined.  I would make my soup and bread and I wouldn't be the only one to enjoy it!  I packed some up, warmed right off the stove and out of the oven and drove it to her doorstep... this girl aims to please and pleasing I did.

*Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking*


White Bean Italian Sausage Soup


1 lb. Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 minced garlic cloves
4 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
2 (15 oz) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup medium pearl barley
1 large carrot sliced
1 celery rib sliced
1 tsp. minced fresh sage (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp, minced fresh rosemary (or 1/8 tsp. dried, crushed)
6 cups chopped fresh kale


In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.  Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.  Drain if necessary.


Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes, barley, carrot, celery, sage and rosemary.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.  Stir in kale; return to boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer another 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and kale is wilted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.