spoon

Recent Recipes

Porcupine Meatballs

0

Category :

This is not my recipe. Nor is it one that I've found in one of my beloved cooking magazines or books. To me, this is comfort food. We had these at LEAST once a month growing up and by the time I was in middle school, my mom had taught me how to whip up a batch. But somewhere in those years between leaving for college, getting married and developing my passion for cooking, these became a distant memory and I was on to newer, more exciting recipes. I may have made them once or twice but it wasn't until a few weeks ago as I contemplated something "cheap" to make for dinner that I fondly remembered this recipe. I even went as far as posting on my sister's facebook page:

"I'm making porcupine meatballs for dinner tonight... doesn't that remind you of our childhood? :)" to which my little brother replied "Porcupine meatballs! Oh man, the memories. You should have egg noodles and gravy with them..." and my sister seconded with " I want porcupine meatballs!!! That does sound so good, just the way Joey said. :) Mmmmmmm I can taste them now."

It warmed my heart to know the memory was still alive...


Porcupine Meatballs (courtesy of Rice-a-Roni)

1 (6.8-oz.) package beef flavored Rice-a-Roni
1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon vegetable oil or cooking spray
2 1/2 cups water
Hot cooked egg noodles

Combine rice mix, ground beef and egg. Shape into twenty 1 1/4-inch meatballs. In a large skillet in vegetable oil or cooking spray over medium-high heat, brown meatballs on all sides; drain.

Slowly stir in water and special seasonings. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low; simmer 25 minutes or until meatballs are cooked. Remove meatballs with a slotted spoon to a bowl and keep warm. Mix 1 Tbsp. cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and pour into remaining water/seasoning mix in skillet. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.

Serve meatballs on top of egg noodles and top with gravy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Powered by Blogger.